Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gary Nolan/Eagle 93.9 FM Interview

Fireworks! Or should I say, "firetrucks."

That was Drive radio talk show host Gary Nolan's humorous take on my opponents use of the F-word in a well-publicized event a couple of years ago. He couldn't use the real word so he started our interview yesterday on the Eagle 93.9 FM with this rendition of a recorded telephone conversation between my opponent, a Hallsville constituent, and an employee in the assessor's office.

"Give me a firetrucking telephone number where I can reach you at."


"She’s got a firetrucking - she’s crazy."

"I’ve left three firetrucking messages for her."

Gary started the show with a bang and then we got down to business, talking about my platform for change, which includes not using the word "firetruck."

We talked about why it's important to tax homeowners and landlords -- even though they might be right next door to each other -- using different methods. A senior citizen with a paid off home

has little in common with an investor and a rental.

We talked about why I'm running for assessor -- why I'm uniquely qualified to tackle some complex issues that our current foreclosure crisis will only make more complex.

We talked about my passion for fairness in public service, and the need to follow the law.

Speaking of following the law, my opponent's loss of the now famous 3M appeal late last year came up. I talked about how I would have handled the case differently, and why the State Tax Commission ruled against him.

A couple of callers phoned in, but after my segment was over. I'm hoping to come back. Mr. Nolan suggested a debate between my opponent and I. I don't do a lot of radio interviews so I was a little nervous, but I think I said, "bring it on!"

Assessor apologizes after leaving profane voice mail

3M wins decision on taxes. Ruling saves plant almost $1 million.

3M COMPANY: State Tax Commission Ruling

No comments: